Featured post

If my people, who are called by my Name, humble themselves and pray (Part One)

The text, for those who have trouble with a rather individual cursive, reads as follows: Scandal after Scandal. No institution safe....

Monday 22 December 2014

Chanukah in John Pt.9 - The Seventh Light.

As the glory of the Chanukah menorah is nearly full, so the glory of Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus the Christ, is nearly manifest in John's Gospel.

It is worth noting that the Jewish authorities (John calls them 'The Jews') were present for this significant funeral.

Our seventh light is Martha. She gets all the bad press over being anxious, but here she shines. Personally, I love her. She gets dinner on the table and when a real crisis comes she is present and correct.

And this year, my wife pointed out something that I've never noticed before, nor have I heard anyone preach on. 

Martha  says to Mary, " The Teacher is calling for you". In fact, Jesus is not recorded as saying that. What is going on here?  Martha has realised exactly Who Jesus is and understands  that Jesus is always calling for those He loves.She does not need a specific instruction. How many Christians are waiting for a call when the command to go is implicit in becoming a believer?

In John 10, Jesus had spoken out at the feast of Dedication (Chanukah).  He had identified Himself with the Father and called Himself the Son of God. He also said that He would do the works of the Father.

In John 11 we get two of the oddest sentences in the Bible. You have to read it twice. Verses 5 
& 6.
Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So, when he heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was.

Does anybody else do that? Really?

Our key verses are John 11:25 - 27  :
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” 27 She said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world.”

That ' I am' in the Greek is 'ego eimi ' which means 'I, I am'. It is the equivalent of YHWH.

Note, 'Who is coming into the world' - this takes us right back to John 1:9

It is another Chanukah reference. Jesus is the Servant light.


Copyright G. I. Goodson 2013
At this time of resurrection back to this life, pray for all those who need healing of any sort and especially those who grieve.

Chag Sameach.  

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven

Part Eight
 

No comments:

Post a Comment