Featured post

If my people, who are called by my Name, humble themselves and pray (Part One)

The text, for those who have trouble with a rather individual cursive, reads as follows: Scandal after Scandal. No institution safe....

Monday 3 March 2014

The Wedding at Cana - The proof of an active faith is an act of faith

We've been doing a series on the Symbols of the Holy Spirit at HTWB, see here . In the morning they are part of the monthly all-age service and this morning we reached 'Wine'.

My readings for this sermon were Amos 9:13 - 15 and John 2:1 -11. Amos is an old friend from my days at Bible college, when I had to sit a three hour examination, without a Bible, on him and Hosea. 

The Wedding at Cana was a part of the syllabus I used to teach at the first school I ever taught in. In those days we could teach a Judeo-Christian syllabus. 

US readers are reminded that I was a teacher of Religious Education at a State school in the UK. I can promise you that it is not indoctrination.  Some friends committed to pray for me one  day and the lesson caught fire. The kids were totally attentive and afterwards I realised that I had the makings of  a brilliant sermon. Since then, I have preached on the Wedding on many occasions. This is only one of them.

Image result for Large Jars Photo © Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by Avraham Hay
Photo © Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by Avraham Hay. Large jars
The numerous large barrel- and goblet-shaped vessels that were discovered in Jerusalem are among the most impressive examples of Jewish stoneware from the Second Temple Period. They were shaped on lathes, each one from a single block of stone. The New Testament tells of stone jars, apparently of this type, that were used “for the Jewish rites of purification” (John 2:6).

I hope you find the PowerPoint interesting and instructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment