Featured post

If my people, who are called by my Name, humble themselves and pray (Part One)

The text, for those who have trouble with a rather individual cursive, reads as follows: Scandal after Scandal. No institution safe....

Wednesday 8 May 2013

St. Paul, Sinatra and the Sex Pistols.

Philippians 4:8 - 9.
8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you .

Below on the left, is the old smoothie singing 'My Way'. I hate the song and I am no fan of Sinatra. He makes it seem noble. People have it played at funerals! It sells people the acceptability of the lie that we can do it our way.

Using Paul's checklist, it gets a half a mark on superficial musicality and for technical quality (excellence?). It's the spoonful of sugar that hides the poison - and that's not lovely or excellent.

On the right are Sid Vicious and the Sex Pistols with their version. It starts with a painful spoof of Sinatra's style  and then morphs into an arrogant punk-rock version.

It certainly doesn't get any marks for beauty or excellence unless you like punk rock. However, it takes the gloves off; it strips off the veneer. It revels in its arrogance and pride. 

It actually tells the truth. This is what the lyrics of 'My Way' really mean. You wouldn't have this at a funeral unless you intended to defy God.

Paradoxically, it scores full marks on truth. And telling the truth is honourable and just, which is commendable. That makes it praiseworthy and to some degree even excellent.

Odd, isn't it? Such an unacceptable source can reveal a truth and such an acceptable source, at least  to many, is an outright lie.

Sadly, neither of these men, as far as we can tell, can be said to have done it Christ's Way.

St Paul again:

2 Timothy 4:6 - 8
6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

Think about these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment